Flat Preloader Icon

Admissions FAQ

Below are listed frequently asked questions and answers about our Tyndale Theological Seminary Admissions.

My secondary and university education were followed in English (and I come from an English-speaking country). May I be exempted from the TOEFL/IELTS test?

The Dutch Government and Tyndale Theological Seminary require all master’s level program applicants to take an English test and to submit their score as a part of the application process. Exceptions are made for students who have completed their entire education (primary, secondary and bachelor) in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK, or USA.

I have a college diploma but not a university degree. May I apply?

No in terms of our MET, MDiv or CTS programs. Generally one has to have a Bachelor of Arts/Science degree or equivalent from an approved vocational or academic institution (180-240 ECTS or 3-4 academic years). However, a person can take the selected courses offered as Tyndale By Extension (TBE) without a university degree.

I am 50 years of age. Am I too old to apply to Tyndale?

Tyndale welcomes people of all ages.

If I am admitted my spouse and children want to come to Tyndale with me. Will my spouse get a scholarship, too? Can my family live on campus?

Your spouse would have to apply for either the MDiv or the MET program and be accepted into that program before he or she would be considered for a scholarship. There is no housing on campus for families, so finding a place to live would be left to you, and would not be included in any scholarship package. Occasionally there is housing available in the dorm for a married couple without children. In order to bring a family to the Netherlands a person must demonstrate to the Dutch government that adequate finances exist to meet the entire family’s needs.

Can I find a job while I am studying? How many hours am I allowed to work?

It can be very challenging to find a job. Legally, with a student visa, a person can work up to 16 hours a week. Should you choose to work, your Tyndale obligations for both academic work and community duties must be your first priorities. Working in the Netherlands also requires you to purchase Dutch health insurance. Tyndale does not cover this cost.

I live in the Netherlands. May I travel to Tyndale for the courses, but live at home?

Yes. You may live at home and travel to the school for classes.

I do not have a BA in theology. Can I apply?

Yes. You can apply to either the Certificate of Theological Studies (CTS) or the Master of Divinity (MDiv) programs.

I am unable to obtain an Academic Recommendation, because I graduated (10) years ago and my professor is no longer at the university. What should I do?

You should write a paragraph or two explaining why it is not possible for you to provide the Academic Recommendation.

If I am given a scholarship, what costs will I still have to cover myself?

There are different types of scholarships. All students regardless of scholarships are required to provide their own transportation to and from the Netherlands, visa costs*, a portion of their medical insurance* and a yearly €35 Student Association Fee. Closer to completing your studies, students will have to pay a €50 graduation fee and €50 thesis binding fee (MET students only).

*These costs are updated yearly on the Financial Information Page.

When will I be notified about my acceptance into the program?

Approximately 30 days after the 1 February deadline and 30 days after the 1 May deadline.

Am I eligible for a “Clergy Discount?”

The clergy discount is available to people who come to Tyndale as employees of Christian organizations. This discount amounts to 50% off of tuition.

Can I just email my transcripts to you?

You may email copies your transcripts to Tyndale as part of the Educational Background Form. This is especially important if your transcript is not in English. (A non-English transcript must be accompanied by a CERTIFIED translation into English.) You are also required to have your official transcripts sent directly to Tyndale from each university or college you attended.

Do you need my TOEFL test before you can decide on my application?

Yes. By Dutch law Tyndale cannot admit a student without this information unless a student completed their entire education in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK or USA.

When does my application need to be complete?

Non-EU Countries: 1 February for admission in June of the same year
EU Countries and North America: 1 May for admission in June of the same year.

Can I enroll for the Certificate of Theological Studies program if I live outside the EU?

Unfortunately, Tyndale cannot seek to provide a visa for this program. Therefore, only students who already have legal permission to be in the Netherlands are able to apply for this program.

My referee sent the recommendation form back to me, can I just forward it to Tyndale?

No. All recommendations must be sent directly from the referee to Tyndale. This can be done by email.

My dad is my pastor, can he fill out the recommendation form?

No. Please have someone else who is not a relative fill out the recommendation form.

If I receive a scholarship is it good for the whole time I am at Tyndale?

Scholarships are dependent on funding available. Usually people retain the scholarship that they have upon entering the school, but this is not guaranteed. There are circumstances in which a scholarship may be withdrawn or changed, i.e., academic probation, discipline issues, lack of attention to campus duties, changes in personal status, etc. Scholarships are reviewed twice a year. A student’s need for financial aid may change during his/her time at Tyndale. It is during these semi-annual reviews that he/she can make an application for a change in scholarship status.

What is the difference between the MDiv and MET programs?

Master of Divinity

This is the ideal degree for the university graduate who is entering ministry, but lacks a formal theological education.

Prerequisite: Bachelor of Arts/Science degree from an approved vocational or academic institution (180 – 240 ECTS or 3 – 4 academic years)

No entrance exam

No Validation Exam

Elementary Greek is part of the program of study.

No thesis component

Accredited by the ECTE

3 years full-time to complete (up to 6 years part-time)

A language proficiency test required

  • a TOEFL Internet-based test (iBT) score of at least 80 (IELTS Academic test score of 6.5)

Master of Evangelical Theology

This program is designed for the student who has a bachelor’s degree in theology and is interested in pursuing further studies and leadership roles.

Prerequisite: Bachelor of Arts degree in Bible or theology from an approved institution (BDiv; BTh, minimum 180 ECTS, including approximately 40 ECTS in Bible, 25 ECTS in Systematic Theology and Church History, and 40 ECTS in Practical Ministry, at the minimal equivalent of a Dutch HBO or school of higher professional education)

An entrance exam (critical response)

Validation Exam taken upon arrival at Tyndale. This exam tests the knowledge that one already has in Old Testament, New Testament, Systematic Theology and Church History. Certain insufficiencies can be made up by taking prerequisite courses.
Elementary Greek, as a prerequisite, can be met the summer prior to the start of the program.

Thesis component

Accredited by ECTE and NVAO

2 years full-time to complete (up to 5 years part-time)

A language proficiency test required

  • a TOEFL Internet-based test (iBT) score of at least 90 (IELTS Academic test score of 7.0)