Ken Moser, PhD
- Associate Professor of Practical Ministries
- Department of Intercultural Studies and Practical Ministries
Ken Moser was born in Ketchikan Alaska, grew up in Phoenix, Arizona and went to university in Southern California where he had a profound conversion to Christianity. Shortly after that he hopped on board a sailing yacht and sailed to Australia (via Mexico, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji). He stayed in Sydney, entered to seminary, and began a career of church-based youth ministry and consulting. This led to further study and a passion to teach, train, and coach those involved in youth ministry. Before coming to Tyndale, he was a youth minister and professor in Canada for 18 years.
He is married to Julie who is also a youth minister and youth ministry trainer.
Ken’s passion is primarily to reflect theologically on youth ministry and how Scripture informs our methodology. In addition, he is interested in the connection between evangelism and discipleship. In other words, how can we promote an evangelism that leads to discipleship and vice versa.
- B.Th., Moore Theological College, Sydney, Australia
- M. A., Theology, Morling College, Sydney, Australia
- Ph.D., Practical Theology, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Areas of Academic Interest
- Youth Ministry, Evangelism and Discipleship
Current Administrative Responsibilities
- Admissions Committee
Professional and Ministry Experience
- Assistant Professor of Youth Ministry, Briercrest College and Seminary
- Youth Director, St. John’s Anglican Church (Shaughnessy)
- Youth Minister, St. Mark’s Anglican Church, Oakhurst
- Regional Youth Advisor for the Sydney Diocese (Anglican).
Youth Ministry Lecturer Youthworks Children’s and Youth Training College
- Teaching Pastor for Quaker’s Hill Anglican Church
- Religious studies teacher at Balgowlah Boys High School
- Adjunct Lecturer at Sydney Missionary and Bible College
- Youth Minister for Christ Church St. Ives Anglican Church
- Student minister for St. Michael’s, Newport Beach (Sydney).
Academic Works, Presentations, and Theses Supervised
- Building to Grow. Youth Surge Press, 2010.
- Youth Evangelism: Reaching Young People in a Way that Honours God. Youth Surge Press, 2005.
- Programs 2 Go. Youth Surge Press, 2004.
- Creative Christian Ideas for Youth Groups. Youth Surge Press, 2003.
- Changing the World Through Effective Youth Ministry. Aquila Press, 2002.
- Co-authored with Al Stewart and Ed Vaughan. No Guts No Glory. Matthias Press, 1989.
“Rebuilding the house – the three pillars of effective youth ministry today”, St Mark’s Review, 224, May 2013.
- “The Name Game”, Youthworker Journal, March/April 2010.
“Fair Dinkum Youth Ministry”, The Journal of Student Ministries, September/October 2007.
“Living by a Different Doctrine”, The Journal of Student Ministries, September/October 2006.
“The Fruitless Search for Fun”, The Journal of Student Ministries, November/December 2006.
- “Entertained to Death, the Case Against Games in Youth Ministry”, Youthworker Journal, March/April 2003.
“Experiencing Youth Work”, Church Growth Digest, Year 24 Issue 1, Autumn 2002
- “Tearing down the house: my journey away from pragmatics. Rebuilding the house: the three pillars of effective youth ministry today”
The Biannual Australian Theology of Youth Ministry Conference at Ridley College, Melbourne in June 2012.
- “Is Modern Youth Ministry Between a Rock and a Hard Place? The Musings of a Third Culture Youth Minister”
The Annual Peter Corney Lecture, Melbourne, Australia June 14, 2012
- “Entertained to Death: How the Funnel Model of Youth Ministry Has Hurt the Anglican Church in Australia”
The International Association for the Study of Youth Ministry (IASYM), Oxford, U.K. January 3, 2006
- “Fair Dinkum Youth Ministry”
The Annual Peter Corney Lecture, Melbourne, Australia July 14, 2004
Job (Youthworks Press)
1 Thessalonians (Youthworks Press)
Starting Out (Youthsurge Press)
Foundations for Christian Living (Youthsurge Press)
Studies for Young Men (Youthsurge Press)
Big Issues for Youth (Youthsurge Press)
Work Rest and Play (Youthsurge Press)
Luke: Who is Jesus (Youthsurge Press)
Luke: Parables (Youthsurge Press)
Luke: Carry Your Cross (Youthsurge Press).